I’ve been looking for easy one or two serving recipes that I can cook when I get home from work. And now that I’m done with Grad School [at least until August] I’m hoping to have more time to cook in my neglected kitchen. After work and a workout I came home and decided to try my first new recipe of the summer…
I actually had no idea what I wanted to eat for dinner tonight, but I surfed on over Tasty Kitchen and decided to peruse the sandwiches. Man, did I hit the jackpot!! I’m a huge sucker for Chicken Parmesan, but the prep is hardly easy and the cleanup, at least for me, takes longer than the cooking. Plus, you can’t ever make just one serving. Luckily, I found I could have the taste of Chicken Parmesan that I love without the frying and the pie tins of egg, flour, and breading strewn across my counter. YAY!
This recipe is simple, hearty, and cheesy and would pair perfectly with a light green salad. Buon Appetito!
Chicken Parmesan Subs
adapted from Tasty Kitchen
- 1-⅔ whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Halves (cooked)
- ⅓ Jar Of Spaghetti Sauce (28 – 32 Ounce Jar)
- 2 whole 6″ Hoagie Buns
- 1 tablespoon Butter (enough to butter the bread)
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Pinch (or more) of Red Pepper Flakes
- Approximately 1 teaspoon of Italian Seasonings
- ⅔ cups Shredded Mozarella Cheese
- 1 tablespoon (or more) Parmesan Cheese
- Chop cooked chicken breasts into small 1/2-inch pieces. Heat spaghetti sauce in saucepan and add red pepper, italian seasonings and chicken pieces. Cook until chicken is heated through.
- Slice hoagie buns in half.
- Mix softened butter and and garlic until well incorporated. Spread garlic butter over bread.
- Preheat broiler. Place bread on a pan, butter side up, under broiler. Broil until golden and crunchy.
- Distribute the chicken mixture over bread. Top generously with cheeses.
- Return to oven and broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let set a few minutes.
Note: You can prepare the chicken breasts however you like – baked, sauteed, rotisserie, etc. Leftover is perfect!